Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finished Quilt

As I said in my last post, I have finished my quilt for the quilt along. I used my favourite fabrics from Amy Butler's Belle collection. I cheated a little on this quilt. The quilt along was for a throw size quilt and used 6 different blocks I think. I wanted a quilt for my bed so I made mine queen size and I wanted a simpler design so I only used 2 of the blocks. For the back I just randomly pieced all my leftover fabric together. I love how it turned out and I really have two quilts in one. I had a lot of fun and also a lot of stressful moments with this quilt. I have made a few quilts before but this was the first time I had ever done free motion quilting. It was easier than I thought and I'm lucky to have a sewing machine that can sew automatically without the foot peddle so this made it easier for me to maneuver the bulk through my machine. I have never really loved quilting but after learning some great tips from this quilt along, I am now hooked. I am going to do it again but I will make the one using all the blocks this time. I will probably make a throw for the couch. I think I would like to use some vintage fabrics for this one though. If you have wanted to try quilting but were afraid to, I highly recommend this project from
Oh, Fransson! She really has a gift for quilting and teaching.
Here are some pictures. They are not good pictures at all. It is really difficult to take pictures of a quilt.

2 comments:

Ariane said...

The quilt looks great. I love the colors.

erin, maker of chimes said...

Looks great! I'm planning on trying the free motion machine quilting in a few weeks on a baby quilt that I'm making for my niece, hopefully I'll be as successful as you were!